Thursday, January 30, 2014

How I Stop Breastfeeding in 3 Nights!

Charles is now 15 months old at his last Doctors appointment our Doc told me It was time to stop breastfeeding. This is purely to help Charles eat more and get his weight up. He is currently weighing in at 17.6 lbs. How exciting I mean my goal is to get him to 20 pounds as soon as possible but any weight gain is a plus in our book. I always feel bad leaving doctors appointments because I feel like I failed my baby. Like no matter what I do he is not were he should be and that just breaks my heart. This was the first time I didn't feel bad leaving the G.I.'s office. So I am not complaining at all.
HE IS NOW A BIG BOY! Tear.

Now to how I stopped breastfeeding in 3 days and nights, Charles has slept in our bed most of his life. Like he only slept in his little rocker when he was a new born. Our doctor said that this would help him and stimulate him to eat more during the night. Now this is not for everyone and I get that. There are a lot of safety issues that could hurt your baby so again this is just how we did it. He sleep next to me and we moved his crib right next to the bed took his mattress out and laid it in between the bed and the crib for extra protection.

I would not wear a bra to go to sleep just a low cut shirt that was easy to pull down and feed. I learned to breastfeed laying down right away so this was easier to do at night. After the first month I never woke up and pumped or to feed at all. Charles would just eat when he was hungry. I could feel him tugging on my shirt I would pull out my breast and feed him. Then I would put him on my chest and burp. All things I did while totally half asleep. Now this is what made stopping breastfeeding harder. Because he was use to eating at night so it was tough but necessary.

The last night I breastfeed was January 24th I chose to do it on the weekend because we were not going to go out. So that night I feed him and totally took in the moment. This experience of breastfeeding has been the most amazing thing I have ever been able to do. If you are lucky enough to be able to breastfeed it is the way to go. I know it's hard and painful and doesn't work for everyone but hey I had a c-section and didn't get to birth my baby so tough. I kid that was something that I looked forward to forever but things have a way of working themselves out.

So any how I feed him and went to bed around 9:30. I also filled up his cup (Momma straw cup) with pediasure and put it over ice in a measuring cup to keep it cold over night and got his snack pack ready with bunny snacks.I did not trust myself without a bra but I knew that I could totally tug on it while asleep and still feed. So I wore one of my husbands sweatshirts and wore my bra on the outside and topped it off with a sports bra. Picture to come. LOL.

Around midnight I heard Charles tugging and complaining trying to eat. I then fully woke up turned on the TV but on some cartoons (Arthur you know the PBS show you use to watch)  and woke him up. I offered him some pediasure he drank a little then had some crackers and the next thing I new he was asleep. A few hours later the same thing happened and then again around 6 am. Then we woke up almost at 9:00 am. He was not drinking breast milk during the day for a while so no issues during the day. He wasn't super clinging either through out the day so we were good.

I repeated the same thing the next 2 nights and I noticed that the second night he only woke up twice. Yup 2 times! I also pumped about 4 ounces of milk tonight because I was freaking hurting. Like I felt so much pain in my Kidneys. Random right. on Sunday he only woke up once. My breast were not hurting so much but I did not pump I only squirted out a little when I was in the shower. By Monday he was not waking up during the night. And then I stopped wearing my bra's on the outside of my shirts. Oh and my breast don't hurt anymore! Yay time to get wasted! Without testing the milk!!! 

Now this is what worked for us and how we did it. How did y'all
My baby prince I love you!
stop breastfeeding, and how old were your little ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment